Saturday 28 May 2016

Pigging-out on Pinxos

Cod and pepper pinxo
Last night was a revelation as I touched heaven. Forget all the stuff you might have read or heard about how to get there, just come with me and eat some of these heavenly pinxos. Simple. No need for meditation or religion or penance! I ate 16, yes, SIXTEEN 'pinxos'. I will set up an altar to my tum soon. 

(Read my post 'A tiny note on Basque pinxos' to know what 'pinxos' are).

Baked mussel pinxo
There is a restaurant I have been passing by every time I go to buy groceries - ie about once a week during the past 10 years or so and can you believe it when I say that EVERY TIME, I say, "I must go here" and as soon as I reach home, amnesia strikes until the following week. And somehow yesterday, IT finally happened. I went in with a friend and oh my oh my oh my! I don't think I have ever eaten more than 7-8 pinxos in a single setting, let alone 16! I had; 4 with 'jamón'; hake; 2 of cod; sobrasada with quail's egg; spicy tuna; anchovy; grilled chicken; baked mussel; foie gras; an amazing battered prawn one; my favourite xistorra one...Sweet Jesus! I wanna go back. HELP!

Grilled chicken pinxo

Now it's not easy to grill chicken to perfection and especially bite sized mouthfuls - most places tend to overcook it - many a time have I sent back a plate of what can only be called compact sawdust - so you can imagine my bliss when I bit into this morsel and found it juicy and tasty and oh so right! I think a moan came out....but luckily the din disguised my cave-woman sounds...
Battered hake pinxo

Pity I scarfed the 'jamón' ones before even thinking of taking photos. 'Jamón' made me forget myself and attack. When I woke up, 4 had disappeared and all that was left were the toothpicks - the waiter counts how many 'pinxos' you have eaten by counting these. But anyway, hope this amazing battered hake pic will make up for this. As with the chicken, fish is a bummer to cook too as cook to overcook is just 4 letters away. 


A close-up so you can see how moist the interior was, how perfect each flake...(moan)

Baby scallop pinxo
This little baby to your left just slipped into my mouth in one easy and lip-lickingly good motion. I love scallops and baby scallops even more despite costing an arm, a leg, a kidney and a liver. Goddamn their goodness! 





Battered prawn pinxo

The battered prawn was so perfect that I nearly devoured the toothpick too - you should have seen me fishing the toothpick out of my mouth in a ladylike manner. Hah!
The bar where you just pick your own pinxo, Basque style
And last, but not the least, 'count my toothpick' time....




2 comments:

  1. I think I am jealous. For perhaps the first time. The place does sound very very good ...thanks.
    I ate Pinxos in Biarritz...Basgue country...good, tasty...fucking expensive and nothing to write home about...Marie Antoinettes if you want...pretty, well executed, but you are not going to miss them in any profound sense. Everything on the Spanish side of the border seems better to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basque bot Basgue fucking auto spelling correctors

    ReplyDelete