Friday 29 January 2016

Brekkie time!

French toast
Breakfast has got to be my favourite meal of the day and not only do I slowly prepare everything but also,  I take time to eat it. A long time ago, a dear friend taught me how to make French toast and oh my, was it a revelation! And when made with love, oh soooooo good. And oh soooo simple, like all the best dishes. Here is my favourite recipe:

Serves 1
1 egg
1 knob of butter - you can choose how big that knob is ;-)
2 pieces of white bread ( has to be white, brown just doesn't work and makes this decadent dish way too healthy for a weekend)
2 tablespoons of milk
Cinnamon
Maple syrup (to add at the end). I make sure my maple syrup is organic as the non organic one is full of pesticides - Yikes!
Crack the egg in a shallow bowl, add the milk and cinnamon and give it a good whisk. 
Lay one piece of bread in this and thoroughly coat on both sides.
Melt the butter in a pan and add the prepared bread.
Coat the other piece of bread on both sides till the egg mixture has been thoroughly absorbed. 
Lay on the pan and cook till golden brown. Drizzle with as much maple syrup as needed.

Marbella fry up
Sometimes there is nothing better, after a hard night of partying in Marbella, than a good ol' fry up. Doesn't that look divine? My arteries clog with happiness just by looking at this photograph. Marby has so many Brits that this brekkie is an easy one to get anywhere. Here in Barcelona, a place serving a good cholesterol fest is a bit tougher to find but they exist. Halleluiah, there is one near my house!

At other times, especially on a Sunday and an hour before I go for a run, I make myself some pancakes. Here is a nice and easy recipe with video to boot - don't tell me I don't make things easy for you. 
On normal working days, I go for something simpler - some good thick 'give you hairs on your chest' German rye bread and butter, toasted on a solid pan like in times gone by. Always accompanied by freshly ground organic coffee - you can't beat the taste of freshly ground coffee! Sometimes I add some cheese or a yoghurt for that much needed calcium that our ageing bones need. On that glum note, here is another photograph to cheer us up and make us hungry!





2 comments:

  1. I would like to invite myself to breakfast! What kind of cheese is that in the bottom photo? With the bread...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! Just get the nect evening flight to bcn!
    It is Gouda with Rye bread

    ReplyDelete