Wednesday 27 January 2016

Do you double dip your boiled egg?

Perfect semi-boiled egg with soldiers
I do. Sometimes I even triple dip - is that such a sin? Well, boil and quarter me if you must!
Eggs, what can I say that others haven't said before? 5 seconds of reverent silence, please.

THE PERFECT BOILED EGGS
This title reminds me of a young friend of mine who has just learnt how to cook. To make his perfect semi-boiled eggs, he checks that the water does not exceed 100ºc, WITH A THERMOMETER!!! I was laughing silently when he recounted his conscientious ways to me. I just put a large egg in cold water for 9 minutes, boil without a lid and Bob's your uncle! The yolk will be golden and runny and the white will be firm and opaque. Add salt and grind some pepper. How do you do yours? 


My scrambled eggs on toasted rye bread
THE PERFECT SCRAMBLED EGGS
Who doesn't enjoy some creamy scrambled eggs on toast? With their own fine dusting of freshly ground pepper, of course and no, you don't have a choice in this. Mmmmmm...And how hard IS IT to get them to be creamy - if you are lucky, you will get hard and non soggy. The worst is hard and soggy - with a whey like liquid underneath - just the thought makes me heave. These two particular ways are specialities I have come across, time and again, even in 5 star hotels, around the world. Hot plates and scrambled eggs are mortal enemies but needs must and the public has to scarf their mummified eggs to face the world. The secret, dear friends, is in the timing - that's all I am going to say :-) 

MY PERFECT INDIAN SCRAMBLED EGGS
Indians love to take any food item and literally and liberally spice it up and cook it to death and reincarnation. These scrambled eggs have all the creaminess of the above western version and the chilli of a good ol' Indian curry. You will need:
My Indian scrambled eggs

Serves 1
2 eggs
A quarter finely chopped onion
A green chilli, finely chopped
Some green coriander, yep, finely chopped
1 Tbsp milk
1/2 Tbsp sunflower oil
Salt n pepper
Optional 1/4 tsp Cumin, 1/4 tsp Turmeric

Make sure you have everything chopped before you start to cook as at one point, you will have to be fast and throw everything in!
Brown the onions in the oil and then add the egg and all the ingredients except the pepper. Scramble away till creamy. Serve. 

THE PERFECT CURRIED EGGS
I was recently deep in South India, Kerala to be precise, and got to taste a typical breakfast, drool at the below curried eggs, with a delicious fried egg shaped pancake called 'aapam'. My, was this breakfast tasty! The egg curry is made in coconut oil and can be quite strong for people not used to it but then, olive oil in food is also strong tasting for many. There is a lot of sliced onion in this so you must like onions - thankfully I do! Add spices, tomatoes and voilá, Eggy Heaven. 

Curried whole eggs
I was in a lush estate for the weekend and was lucky enough that I got to not just eat a lot of typical Keralan dishes but also, the cook was amazing. I was intrigued at the form of the pancake which was new to me and requested him to show me how they made it. His smiling assistant proceeded to dazzle me. The 'aapam' pan is bowl shaped and she added some batter and expertly rolled it around so that a thin film coated the sides while the rest remained at the bottom, thus giving the typical shape of this morning glory. 
Aapam















THE PERFECT OMELETTE
The below gives you a hint. Can you guess how it is made or do I have to spell it out for you? OK, OK, I guess you are tired, you have just finished work and your brain is a liquid mess. Here is a simple recipe for some more of eggy heaven.

Serves 1
2 Eggs
A good handful of my favourite mushrooms, chanterelle. And NO, you do NOT wash these! You just clean the dirt, blow and hope that a wandering dog didn't pee on them.
2 Tablespoons of milk
A tablespoon of half oil and butter ( am getting very technical here)
A bit of grated cheese
Salt and pepper

Tock, schlump. Tock, schlump ( 2 eggs popped in a bowl)
Add the milk, salt and whisk for 10 seconds.
In a frying pan, heat up the oil and butter mix and cook your 'shrooms till wilted but not dead. This should barely take 5 minutes. Pour your eggs and make sure you coat all the 'shrooms. When the mixture starts to congeal, toss the grated cheese, switch off the fire and grind your pepper. Serve straightaway. You don't even need to get to a table - just eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment