Thursday 4 February 2016

Paella, Please!

As far as I can make out, many countries have a rice and meat/chicken/animal protein dish. You have the Indian 'biryani', the Italian 'risotto', the Chinese broadly generic 'fried rice' etc. The Spanish have 'paella', which is the name of the shallow, 2-handled pan it is made in. It is a dish originally from Valencia but has become an almost national dish in Spain and after 'Tapas' and 'SangrĂ­a', is probably the 3rd most recognisable Spanish word among tourists!
Am I right, am I right or am I right? 
Lobster paella at 'La Mar Salada', Barcelona
As long as you have the right rice - Bomba or Calasparra' which is a medium grained rice which is quite starchy, you can add pretty much anything you want and call it a 'paella' ( I hope my puritan Spanish friends are not reading this) - with certain sense though- you most definitely CANNOT add raisins, cheese or herbs ( except parsley) and get away with it. The above has got to be one of the most delicious paellas I have eaten recently, rich, with huge chunks of a lobster which was cooked and cracked just right and the freshest seafood - clams, mussels and squid rings. It was heavenly to sit down and take time to eat this dish for you can be well certain that it will be the last dish of the day - I couldn't eat dinner. Make sure you have this as a lunch dish for it is deceptively heavy. 

Paella in Chiringuito d'Escribá, Barcelona
Funnily enough, in many Spanish restaurants and bars, you will find that they serve 'paella' mainly on a Thursday. Why? Who knows the real reason and there are many theories. Probably the most valid reason could be that owners tried to get rid of any leftover meat/veg/fish on the day before they gave supply orders, which is usually on a Friday.  

You can see the flat and rather large pan (dependant on number of orders - minimum 2) on the right. This photo is taken of a 'paella' eaten in a place which consistently serves some amazing paellas - I have been several times over the past 10-12 years and have never once eaten a 'paella' which I thought was dry or tasteless - too often the case :-(

Paella in Platja d'Aro
Here is yet another 'paella' I ate in a seaside restaurant in Platja d'Aro and my, was it good, washed down with lots of thirst quenching 'Cava' (Catalan champagne). Can you think of a better marriage than a cold 'Cava' and 'Paella'? Try it, you won't regret it :-)


Homemade Paella



And finally, how could I resist? The most amazing home-made paella! it is quite time consuming to make so choose a Sunday. We made the broth with ground crab, fish bones....pfffffff, let me see if I can find the recipe to add here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment