Monday 1 February 2016

How to make your very own Yoghurt

Homemade creamy yoghurt
Years ago, I was stupid enough to buy a pot of commercial yoghurt to use as a starter to make my own yoghurt. Of course it didn't work - why? Most commercially found yoghurts don't have live/active cultures. How crazy is that? But I was 20, foolish and gave up! Many years have passed - don't ask me how many - and somewhere in my head, a little light bulb lit up the other day. What with global warming and plastics ending up in baby birds' tums, thing is, I am trying very hard to get to a zero waste household and eliminate ALL plastic from my life, a not very easy task. Big business is hand in glove with the government in trying to ensure that our consumer and comfort addiction is fuelled by plastic wrapped vegetables, food in plastic containers and packaging, plastic in this and plastic in that - insidious entries into our lives which make it easier yes, healthier? Not so sure. So, I assessed all the plastic in my house and over the past few months, have been eliminating it and looking for alternatives like refill food items/detergents/creams etc but, there seems to be no alternative for yoghurt except in glass pots. Definitely better alternative to plastic tubs but what to do with the glass pots after you have eaten the yoghurt? How many candles can I make of those pots and give? Will I be known as the Candle Lady? Scary thought!

So the other day, a lightbulb lit up in my slowly working brain. 'Clingggggg' it went. 'CLINGGGGG' it went, more insistently! Being older and wiser and only buying organic for many years, I bought an organic yoghurt as my starter. And this time, it worked! This morning, I ate a rich and creamy yoghurt which tasted 10 times better than any yoghurt I have every bought! Ok, I am exaggerating- but it was pretty good.

I prefer to make my yoghurt at night in case I need to use the oven- which is where you will leave your yoghurt to set. I also like to wake up in the morning to the magic of having created yoghurt. You can say incantations over the mix pre putting it in your oven to give it that magicky feel or just coz you are a wacko - who cares!

What you need and no, a plastic yoghurt maker hasn't been used in, around or anywhere near this post: 
1. Tbsp of organic yoghurt of the type which comes in a glass pot. Leave it outside the fridge for a few hours.
2. Full fat milk ( you can use semi or non fat but why?)
3. A saucepan to heat the milk
4. Pre warmed ( not heated) oven to maintain a steady temperature for your bacteria to multiply
5. An earthen bowl or glass pots or mason jar or stainless steel pot for being God and creating the actual yoghurt.  

This is going to be a VERY technical post so put on your reading glasses and PAY attention:

Heat the oven for 5 minutes at full heat then switch off. Meanwhile, heat the milk till it is warm enough to put your finger in without burning. Room temperature is too cool. Add a tablespoonful of the starter yoghurt. Mix with a whisk till the yoghurt has fully dissolved. 
Pour into your designated recipient or recipients.
Put a lid. Wrap in a thick towel to maintain a steady temperature for about 5 hours and put in the oven. 
Next morning, put the recipient/recipients in the fridge once the yoghurt has set, making sure to keep the lid/s on, else the yoghurt will take on any smells in your fridge. 

If you are going to make yoghurt in leftover glass pots - they look cute and you also don't want to be called the Candle Lady/Sir/Weirdo, you can use some muslim or be creative and use any thick fabric, set in place with reusable elastic bands or yarn ( looks vintage-y), before putting the yoghurts in the fridge. Voilá - enjoy!


My cute pots with leftover jean material



2 comments:

  1. You have outdone yourself with this entry. Yoghurt in glass pots? Where art thou? I have a made yoghurt lo this many years in a plastic domed cooker with dried starter flakes and full fat milk because using commercial yoghurt results are unsatisfactory. You must have an IN with the yoghurt gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My yoghurt is so creamy, it is like eating a very thick cream without the ensuing heart condition!
      I make 6 little pots to last me six days :-)

      Delete