Thursday 11 February 2016

RIP Le Baignore

Menu on the wall
For many, many years, after watching a movie, a very good friend of mine and I would walk down from the cinema theatre and have a bite and a drink, in a place a convenient stone's throw away. This bar changed owners 3 times while I was a customer, over about 10-12 years but the theme remained more or less the same - a selection of lovely wines and little plates of food, just the perfect way to discuss a movie and end an evening.

Rillete and wine
My friend moved away but I continued the ritual for many years after. I took other friends, boyfriends, potential boyfriends....made friends with the bargirls. Then last year, they closed this classy jewel down and a rather garish sandwich place has taken over.

So I just want to say goodbye to my after-cine place, where I drank many a glass of wine, ate many a dish of rilletes or ham, had so many wonderful discussions and laughs. I haven't had the heart to look for a new place where a girl can have a glass of wonderful soothing wine after hours...who knows if I will ever find one. Goodbye, La Baignore, RIP

1 comment:

  1. There is a place in Lyon called "Mlle Rève", my German post doc goes frequently, and has taken me there twice...it is good, as someone who normally drinks at home I find it quite ridiculous paying 4 euros for a glass of wine but the food (cheese plate, mixed plate or charcuterie plate) and the "ambiance" are really quite magnificent...its a lot of fun. The principal pain in the ass (for me but not for you) is that you can't smoke and drink..unless of course it is summer, when there are tables outside.

    ReplyDelete